What is copyright?
Copyright refers to the granting of rights to the use and dissemination of a product to certain persons by law. It is also defined as the legal rights on the products created by the individual with all kinds of intellectual labor. This protects the creator by making it illegal to use their work without permission. Only entities allowed by the creator of the work may use it. If it’s used without permission, and especially if it’s used to make money off of, the creator can take it to court. To avoid situations like that, you need permission from the copyright owner. With our copyright permission form template, you can save yourself the hassle!
Why would you want to use an online copyright permission form?
To reuse any work that is copyrighted you need to request permission. These can be owned, held, produced, published, or created by a third party. Even if you make little changes, you might get in trouble. Cosmetic changes, paraphrasing, and so on are still considered a violation. For you to not need permission, you’d need to modify it a lot. And even then you need to acknowledge the original.
On the occasion of its violation, the copyright holder can sue the violators. To avoid such situations, one needs permission from the copyright owner. This used to be a slow process with letters sent back and forth with the copyright holder, but luckily, nowadays holders might even have a permission form ready on their website to be filled for those who want to use the work. If, though, you did not find such a thing, you can make a permission request in the shape of an online form. With our copyright permission form template, you can save yourself the hassle!
Essentials and tips to create a copyright permission form
You’ll need to include several things in your copyright permission form for it to be clear and comprehensive. All of which we include in our copyright permission form template. Must-haves you should include in your form are as follows:
- Contact information: This is not only to give them a way to contact you but also to give personal information such as name, title, phone number, and address.
- Information on the requested work: Description of the material, date of publication if it has one, specific parts of the material if the aim is to use only parts(such as page numbers).
- Reason for the request: Where do you wish to use the material? For what reason? Copyright holder shall know.
- Term: If you are to use the work for a time, you may add the date.
These are the things you need to have in your request form. Now for some tips:
- Be as specific as possible: You are more likely to get a positive response from the copyright holder if you give more details as to why you would like to use their material. State your own work and the entity you represent.
- Make your online form presentable: Using forms.app’s customization features, you can make your form appear professional and easy on the eyes. This will help you leave a good impression. Just go to the design tab after you’re done creating your form.
- Ask for any special requirements in the form itself: Ask the copyright holder for anything they’d like regarding the material or the acknowledgment.